These BBQ Tempeh Tacos with Vegan Ranch are filled with crispy tempeh, avocado salsa, homemade…
These Vegan Baked Tacos with Chipotle Ranch are the perfect weeknight dinner. Loaded with seasoned potatoes and beans then topped with avocado salsa and chipotle ranch.
Tacos are never a bad idea. And these Vegan Baked Tacos are one of my new favorite weeknight dinners. From the seasoned potatoes to the avocado salsa it is a taco party in your mouth.
I love a crispy taco, but I’m not the biggest fan of deep frying. It is a lot of work and the smell lingers…just too much. But these baked tacos are still perfectly crispy and require a lot less work.
Once your potatoes are ready it is time to assemble. Now, when it comes to tortillas, I would stick with corn. I used white corn, but yellow works too. The main thing you want to remember is to heat your tortillas up before filling them. This will make them pliable and easy to work with. It will also keep them from cracking down the center.
As soon as you have your tortilla stuffed with potatoes and refried beans, place it on a baking sheet and brush it with olive oil. This will also help keep the tortilla from cracking. And if they do crack a little bit…no big deal, they’ll still taste good.
While your tacos are in the oven, it is time to whip up the avocado salsa and the chipotle ranch. These toppings are everything and really take these tacos to the next level. You could always swap these out for your favorite taco toppings, but you should definitely give these a try.
I served these with the toppings on the outside of the tacos, but you could also open up the tacos and put the toppings inside. Do you.
Vegan Baked Tacos with Chipotle Ranch
- 1 lb potatoes cut in small cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus more for brushing the tacos
- 1 4-ounce can green chiles
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 8-12 corn tortillas*
- 1 15-ounce can vegan refried beans
FOR THE AVOCADO SALSA
- 1 avocado cubed
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeño diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
FOR THE CHIPOTLE RANCH
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 large basil leaves
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce from a can
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce from the can
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add potatoes to a large pot. Fill with water, cover and bring to a boil. Once the water begins to boil, remove the lid and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes (or until potatoes are fork tender). Drain potatoes.
- Transfer the drained potatoes to a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Use a fork to mash the potatoes – you still want some chunks, we aren't making mashed potatoes here.
- Add the green chiles and taco seasoning to the potatoes and stir to combine. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the beans to a bowl and add a splash of water if they are super thick to make them easier to spread. Heat your tortillas in the microwave until super pliable – I did mine for 15-30 seconds. You can also work in batches.
- Spread 1-2 tbsp of beans and 1-2 tbsp of potatoes on one half of each tortilla. Fold in half and place on the baking sheet. Spray or brush with olive oil to keep the tortillas from cracking. You want to work somewhat quickly so your tortillas don't dry out. If they crack a little, don't worry about it – they will still taste good.
- Place the tacos in the oven and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until crispy.
- While the tacos are cooking, prepare the avocado salsa and chipotle ranch.
- For the avocado salsa, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- For the chipotle ranch add all of the ingredients to a food processor (or use an immersion blender like I did) and blend until combined. Taste and adjust salt, pepper and vinegar to taste. Thin with water if needed.
- To serve, top the baked tacos with the avocado salsa, chipotle ranch and cilantro.
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one and make a purchase I will receive a small percentage of the sale. Please know I would never link a product unless I have personally used it and loved it!